Monday, February 8, 2010

Weekend Read


So this weekend, I read a bunch of scripts to consider for potential directing gigs. It was depressing. There's SO MUCH bad writing out there, and it seems like it's all getting greenlit. What does a director who wants to continue working do? Take a leap of faith that I'm good enough that I can improve upon, well, absolute shite? Wait until my own projects go into production? Do a little bit of both - practice with these projects for WHEN my projects go into production? Or... just say no...

I've been a big "passer" thus far, saying no to tons of scripts that I later see and think - thank God, BUT, as a result, I've had most of my success as a screenwriter. And while having shot hundreds of music videos and commercials, I still haven't yet shot a feature...

I will say there were a few little bright lights in the pile - okay, one. And I do thankfully have some writing deals that so far I'm lined up to direct. But it's always good to have a bunch of irons in the fire because as Chinua Achebe would say, "things fall apart." So... what to do?

There's no moral to the story or cream rises to the top platitude, just felt like like letting you know the landscape...

No comments:

Post a Comment